When the temperatures dropped and the nights got shorter I thought, ‘I’m out of here, I need some sun!’
I did a little research on the cheapest, sunniest and warmest destination to get to from Europe and that place was Gran Canaria. I managed to book five weeks in a two bed apartment for four adults and get return flights all for just under 400 euros a head.
You might wonder isn’t Gran Canaria just package holiday hell? Nope, check out these gorgeous sights.
- This is Bufadero de la Garita. It’s a water vortex in the Telde area next to El Hombre Beach and quite the geological spectre.
2. Believe it or not these are volcanic vineyards. They are actually in the La Geria region of Lanzarote but I have included them because I found return flights from Gran Canaria to Lanzarote for about 83 euros. So a short trip is possible.
3. These amazing dunes are in Maspalomas and make the area look like a desert. Look hot enough?
4. Roque Nublo is a famous landmark so it’s an ideal goal to reach when off on a hike.
5. The small village of Tejeda looks so quaint. It is on the highest point of the island and well worth exploring.
6. This quaint little fishing village is in Puerto de Mogan. It has canals linking the marina to the fishing harbour so people call it Little Venice.
7. These colourful buildings are in the old town of Las Palmas, which is a UNESCO world heritage site.
8. What a dog? Isn’t he cute! This pup in fancy dress was part of the annual carnival that takes place in January and February each year.